The cafe thrived through the 50’s, and was a favorite gathering place for locals & Mt Rainier visitors from around the world.
In the 70's a roof was put on the face of the building making the upstairs suites dark and unlivable. They were used mostly for storage.
In April of 2001, after 55 years in the same family, Copper Creek Inn was sold to Catharine Gallagher (previous owner of The old Mill House B&B in Eatonville) & her husband Phil Freeman.
Renovation was tackled at a frantic pace in hopes of completing some of the lodging by the busy summer season. The log cabin was completed first. . . Major renovation was necessary in the upstairs suites. Thanks to Terry Lamar our talented and tireless carpenter, the first suite, Frenchie's, opened in August of 2001. Knotty pine walls replaced the 60's plywood paneling. The original fir floors were refinished, leaving the pock marks from the cork boots of loggers who frequented Copper Creek in the early days.
Roselea's suite was completed soon after Frenchie's. The original bead board walls were salvaged in the rooms where Roselea once lived. The 1950's theme includes kitchen tools found in the storeroom during renovation. A jacuzzi tub makes Roselea's a romantic couples suite. . .
At left: Roselea and Frenchie the year they opened Copper Creek Cafe in 1946.
Roselea had a brief career in burlesque in New York before moving to Ashford. She and her husband purchased the building, and shortly after he left her with the restaurant. She didn't know how to cook, but she knew how to hire good cooks. She has been described at "The light of the community" by locals who remember her.